!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Maddie's Musings: Family Unions .......That's the Ticket

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Family Unions .......That's the Ticket

Okay no politics today. Played the worst round of golf in my life today. Hopefully I'll do better in my ladies poker group tonite.

Anyone want to have a hurricane party?

Travelling around the internet this past week, I found quite a few really good blogs. I'm quite impressed with what people have done. Inspired me. I have such a long way to go, I posted my counter and it threw off my heading. Such problems.

One blog I really liked was Prism Warden. This blog got me thinking on the marriage issue. I think we need to have a family issue. Prism Warden is written by a gay who is a Republican, and gives a very colorful opinion on various news topics. He touched my heart talking on the issue of Gay marriage.
Willing to accept the law, because it's the law, he moved me to think a bit. My thoughts included.........Wow, it is too bad that if he found a true love he would not receive the same benefits as myself being married. Then I thought of some male/female couples I knew, and thought YUCK. The Man of Prism Warden so deserves benefits before them. So rather than change the insitution of marriage, basically because it's steeped in tradition and that idea would never fly with a lot of religious conservatives......how about making it family benefits. A family union. Companies than could recognize a family union for insurance purposes, hospitals could recognize family union spouses for visiting, and family unions could take the tax deductions that Married couples are elgible to.

Just a thought. If you get a chance check out Prism Warden, I think he is on this same web thing that I'm on.

So there are my thoughts, some may agree, some may disagree, who cares.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ty Epling said...

Maddie; even when you try to be non-political, you are political. I get that from my family and friends, so welcome to the club.
Many states, including Florida, are making an Amendment to their state constitution.
What it does: "Inasmuch as marriage is the legal union of only one man and one woman as husband and wife, no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized."

2:52 PM  
Blogger Ty Epling said...

What it does not do: The Amendment does not prohibit the state or local government from passing laws which confer rights to unmarried persons.
The Amendment does not affect benefits offered or contracted in the private sector.
www.florida4marriage.org is FOR marriage, it is not against anyone.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

More thoughts on the family initiative:

Since heterosexuals have done such a good job at dismantling the family

perhaps the gay community could help us bring back the ever important "family" back into the main stream.

Families are what get us through hard times. Famlies are what makes us a great nation. It does not take a village, it takes a family.

I'm for anything that brings the American Family back stronger than ever.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem here is that government-sponsored unions (legal ones) are called "marriages" just like the religious-sponsored ones. It doesn't take a change in family values to solve this issue, it just takes inventing a clever new term that everyone can live with. As for me (I'm male), I can't wait until civil unions are legal in my state so I can get one with my girlfriend!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

When you wish upon a star....

Your dream comes true...

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home